Monday, April 21, 2008

An Experiment

So today marks the "National Turn TV Off" week - when people are encouraged to turn off/unplug and otherwise not use their TV's for an entire week. I knew this was coming up, but I actually thought it was next week (so as you can guess, I'm off to a great start so far!) NOT!

I'm a person who believes there is good that can come from TV/movies but that it shouldn't continually take the place of time spent together - but I'm also a mother of three young children who sometimes needs a moment to 1) get dinner made, 2) fold 2 pieces of laundry and put them away, 3) clean a gross toilet, 4) insert something here! It IS hard to spend the whole day, every day creating "moments" for your children. And I don't know that that is needful or even wanted every moment for the kids as they enjoy having time on their own here and there to play too. This all said, I DO turn to the TV sometimes as a way of getting a moment or two to clear my own head, get something done during daylight hours (rather than hoping I can squeeze something in once all kids are asleep and then having no energy to do it - and besides, my kids seem to know this desire of mine and do their level best to deter me from having said "moments" after bedtime to do anything), and as a way of recharging myself and my ideas of things I can do with them. I also wonder if teaching them about limits and moderation isn't possibly a better way than making them think it's all or nothing.


This all being said, I think it's a great opportunity to get creative, push the limits of my own imagination (and stamina) and see just what we can come up with as a family.


I don't know if I'll actually make it an entire week with NO TV ("Lost" IS a new show this week!) But then again, if I ask my children to go without "Curious George" then I should be able to cut something too! :) We'll see...we did have some great time today playing games and continued the fun into Family Home Evening!
Who knows how this will all pan out...perhaps it will be a raging success, perhaps we'll try some new things we've never done and discover something new about ourselves and each other, perhaps we'll strengthen the bonds of family love and affection...or, perhaps we'll just look like this at the end of the week:
I'M GAME! BRING IT ON!!!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love how you ended with that picture..so funny. I didn't know about it being national no t.v. week. I KNOW that if we turned the t.v. off we would have a happier Hannah. I try to not allow her to watch too much but there are times when the only way I can get anything done or have a moment to myself is to put on Noggin or let her watch a movie. I notice when she doesn't watch much during the day that she plays better, is happier and not as hyper as usual. You'll have to let us know how the week went!

Cory CL said...

Wow Holly. You're a strong woman. Thank goodness for DVR, because it is a really good week for TV. Couldn't they make this week happen in Summer, when there aren't any new shows on?

Katie said...

Well, you are braver that me, and I don't even have kids to keep entertained! I hope your experiment was successful. Just so you know, Lost was awesome as usual, just in case you missed it! (I guess that is was Tivo is for)

Beverlee Orluske said...

Love those photos! This one is particulary interesting! How did the whole week go? It will be fun to hear how it went for other who were working with the same routine, if they were able.

Love the Blog notes and photos! They are a joy for everyone to see.
Grammy and Gramps truly do enjoy them a lot!

Looking forward to being with you in just a few weeks!

Sending love,
Mom and Dad
Grammy and Gramps
P.S. it is now HOT in Mesa, AZ!!

Tracy said...

Holly! Crazy girl - you are awesome! So, HOW DID IT GO?!?

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Wow I wish I could do that!! I would love to but know it would last all of an hour before the Today Show would lure me in. How did it go?

P.S. Thanks for your comment on my blog. It gave me great comfort!! I commented on your comment back on my page. Thanks again!!!